Megascopic and microscopic characterization and nomenclature of the rocks and minerals, based on their petrographic properties is being carried out at the petrology laboratory, which is established at the head office, Raipur. Petrological studies is being carried out successfully at the laboratories that have led to identify different types of rocks, mineral and ores to judge the potentiality of the mineral deposit and as an indirect tool to felicitate and encourage mining activities in the State. Success of the international collaborative projects and departmental projects are to the credit of this laboratory.
1. INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATIVE PROJECTS:
1.1 United Nations Development Programme (for Mineral Exploration in M.P.) during year 1979-1983
|Minerals||Method of analysis|
|Tin Ore||Heavy and magnetic mineral separation|
|Gold||Heavy and magnetic mineral separation|
|Carbonatite||Thin section study under microscope|
|Base metals||Ore microscopy|
1.2 INDO-FRG Project “Diamond Exploration” during year 1995-2000
- Petrochemistry, petrography, mineralogy, heavy and magnetic mineral separation and identification
2. DEPARTMENTAL PROJECTS:
- Petrography and mineralogy of Limestone, Dolomite, Bauxite, Kimberlite, granulite, basic/ultrabsic and metamorphic rocks.
- Mineralogical properties of Alexandrite, garnet, corundum, diamond, etc.
- Heavy media and magnetic separation for gold, cassiterite and indicator minerals of diamond.
- Ore microscopy of base-metal and tin ores.
- Personnel working in petrology are trained from Geological Survey of India training institute, Indian diamond institute and Indian Institute of Gemology.
- Petrology laboratory is engaged in various studies related to petrography of samples and equipped with a number of machines / instruments/ equipments. Details are as follows:
- Polarizing microscopes: Microscopic examination of slides of nonmetallic mineral/rock samples and attached camera for photography.
- Leica Polarizing microscopic attached with digital Camera: for microscopic examination of slides rocks and non metallic minerals with digital photography.
- Incident light binocular microscope: Metallic minerals examination under reflected light and micro-hardness test.
- Binocular microscope: Identification of mineral grains and gemstones with magnification up to 100 times.
- Rock cutting machine (Volco): Trimming or slabing of rocks, minerals, ores and core samples.
- Petrothin thin Sectioning System: for preparation of the sectioning rocks and minerals.
- Wards standard cut off machine: Preparation of thin sections with capacity to cut the rock chips up to 3mm thickness.
- Frantz Isodynamic Separator: Magnetic mineral separation.
- Ultraviolet lamp: Study of fluorescence and Phosphorescence properties of minerals.
- Modern balance: Weighing of mineral grains/gemstones and determination of specific gravity.
- Walker steel yard balance: Determination of specific gravity of large rock and mineral samples.
- Electric agate mortar: Mineral and rock pulverizing.
- Duplex refractometer: Determination of refractive index of polished minerals and gemstones.
- Hand magnet: Separation of magnetite and magnetic material.
- Pilot scale granite cutting and polishing machine: Cutting and polishing properties of granite and dimensions stones.
5. FACILITIES AVAILABLE FOR:
- Petrographic study of rocks, metallic minerals, non metallic minerals, gem stones, cutting & polishing and properties of dimension stones, etc, on payment basis. See Facilities & Charges.